Some Info About Me


I am a student at the University of South Alabama in the college of education. I am majoring in elementary education and hope to graduate in 2010.
I've gone back to college after many years to pursue my degree because I have always wanted to teach. After earning my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I want to teach 4th or 5th grade while earning my Master's degree in Secondary Education, specializing in Social Sciences. This would qualify me to teach in grades K-12. I would like to eventually like to teach 6th grade History or Geography.

The Purpose of this Blog

I started this blog as a way to collect the information I want to use when I become a teacher. Included in this blog will be: my philosophies about teaching, my attitudes, and the goals I hope to achieve in the classroom through the use of technology. Some of the tools I want to employ in the classroom to enhance the learning process are: blogs, websites, podcasts, hands-on and online learning. As I learn to use each of these technologies, I will find a way to bring them into the classroom. Join me on my journey through the wonderful world of technology.



Thursday, October 23, 2008

Blogs

child at computer


I found out after taking this class what a useful tool blogs can be. I have learned so much by creating my own blog and this is something I would like to try make a blog for my classroom, one that all the students can contribute to.

While doing research for my blog I found some great ideas I would like to try in my classroom, such as letting the students post to the blog every week and having it available for the parents to view. This would also be a way for me to keep a record or online portfolio of the students reading/writing skills and how they have improved over the course of the year. What a great way to help students improve their reading and writing skills.

I want my students to have many opportunities to use technology in the classroom and by starting a class blog, we will be able to learn to do blog posts, upload pictures, create links and create and add videos. This will also serve as a good form of communication between the teacher and students, the students with the rest of their classmates, and the teacher, students and parents. The blog will be a vehicle in which parents can get a glimpse inside our classroom without actually being there (but they will be encouraged to come visit too!).

I think the students would enjoy reading what other classmates write. They can respond to each other's posts so the students will have feedback from many sources. I believe that children learn from each other so I think a blog would be an excellent teaching/learning tool and a great way to introduce my students to technology.


No comments: