Some Info About Me


I am a student at the University of South Alabama in the college of education. I am majoring in elementary education and hope to graduate in 2010.
I've gone back to college after many years to pursue my degree because I have always wanted to teach. After earning my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I want to teach 4th or 5th grade while earning my Master's degree in Secondary Education, specializing in Social Sciences. This would qualify me to teach in grades K-12. I would like to eventually like to teach 6th grade History or Geography.

The Purpose of this Blog

I started this blog as a way to collect the information I want to use when I become a teacher. Included in this blog will be: my philosophies about teaching, my attitudes, and the goals I hope to achieve in the classroom through the use of technology. Some of the tools I want to employ in the classroom to enhance the learning process are: blogs, websites, podcasts, hands-on and online learning. As I learn to use each of these technologies, I will find a way to bring them into the classroom. Join me on my journey through the wonderful world of technology.



Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hand-on learning

physics and chemistry

I would like to encourage hands-on learning in my classroom as opposed to constant test-taking as a way to evaluate my students. I think that students learn more in the application of information covered in class rather than memorization of information and facts for a test that are soon forgotten. This leads to burp-back education which I am trying to avoid.

I believe application of information through projects will help the students put the information they learned into action, which is especially helpful in an assignment in science or social studies, where information would be hard to retain otherwise. I believe these kind of applications will also help our students to learn to ask questions and to think!

I also believe that projects help the students get a clearer understanding of the concepts being presented and make what they are studying more interesting.

I would love to do something in the classroom similar to "The Edible Schoolyard" where the students actually get to plant, harvest, and eat the things they grow. That is probably not feasible in most schools but we could grow plants in pots int he classroom or have window boxes to grow things in to learn more about the life cycle of plants.

I would also like to incorporate some computer technology into math and science lessons to help reinforce what is presented in the lesson. Computer programs are available to give students a chance to practice math skills and do chemistry lessons online through a virtual lab. I think this is something that would benefit many studetns who can't understand the concepts unless they actually get a chance to experiment with them and apply what they learn, such as a visual or bodily-kinesthetic learner.

No comments: