Some Info About Me


I am a student at the University of South Alabama in the college of education. I am majoring in elementary education and hope to graduate in 2010.
I've gone back to college after many years to pursue my degree because I have always wanted to teach. After earning my bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. I want to teach 4th or 5th grade while earning my Master's degree in Secondary Education, specializing in Social Sciences. This would qualify me to teach in grades K-12. I would like to eventually like to teach 6th grade History or Geography.

The Purpose of this Blog

I started this blog as a way to collect the information I want to use when I become a teacher. Included in this blog will be: my philosophies about teaching, my attitudes, and the goals I hope to achieve in the classroom through the use of technology. Some of the tools I want to employ in the classroom to enhance the learning process are: blogs, websites, podcasts, hands-on and online learning. As I learn to use each of these technologies, I will find a way to bring them into the classroom. Join me on my journey through the wonderful world of technology.



Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Philosophies

The thinker statueThe Thinker, Rodin, 1902

My Teaching Philosophies

I believe it is important for children to learn the social skills necessary to become good citizens. This social aspect is just as important as the knowledge they will acquire in the classroom. Learning to get along, being tolerant and accepting of others’ differences and learning respect, not just of the teacher (and other adults) but also of each other are vital in the growth of a child’s character. I believe it is also important for children to reach out to the world outside of the classroom and find ways to help others through community involvement. It’s important for children to learn how their roles in society impact the lives of others.

I believe that reading is one of the most vital skills a child will acquire during their education. Setting up a good foundation for reading, especially comprehension skills will benefit a child throughout their lifetime. I would also like to instill a love of reading in children by exposing them to a vast variety of literature and make reading a fun experience.

I believe in the importance of language and communication skills. Learning to write well along with developing good listening skills are the keys to effective communication. Teaching children how to express themselves both in writing and orally along with listening to other points of view are the first steps in being a great communicator.

I believe in the importance of goal setting. I would like to help children find the best in themselves and one way to do this is by goal setting. Teaching children how to set goals for themselves and follow the steps required in achieving their goals is a good way to build self confidence. I believe it will help them become more organized and inspire them to reach for and expect more of themselves.

I believe that children need a way to express their thoughts and feelings through either journal writing or arts and crafts. Even children not old enough to write can express feelings through pictures and symbols and are able to convey on paper what they may not be able to say out loud. Drawing a picture or writing a story is a way to express a feeling they are uncomfortable talking about in front of the class.

No comments: